On this page you can read a short summary of or download the full published RailPlan document.
A Summary of RailPlan 7
RailPlan seeks to build on the Local Transport Plan (LTP3) 2011-26 and the Yorkshire Rail Network Study by setting out Metro’s approach to deliver sustainable economic growth by improving the rail network in West Yorkshire. RailPlan will be used to influence the key decision makers in Government and the rail industry to secure improvements to the network and deliver economic growth. The Plan sets out the:
- Context for RailPlan;
- RailPlan’s Vision and Objectives for Rail;
- Gaps where the current network restricts delivery of the Vision;
- Strategy and route by route plans to addressing these gaps.
Rail has an essential role to play in delivering the West Yorkshire LTP3, and RailPlan 7 sets out how rail will contribute to delivering the LTP3 Objectives - to improve connectivity to support economic activity and growth, to progress towards a low carbon transport system for West Yorkshire, and to enhance the quality of life of people in West Yorkshire. RailPlan will be also delivered in the context of wider rail industry developments and opportunities including:
- McNulty Value for Money Review;
- Command Paper for rail ‘Reforming our Railways: Putting the Customer First’;
- Governance and decentralisation options;
- High Speed Rail; and
- Yorkshire Rail Network Study.
The Vision for rail in West Yorkshire is:
- For West Yorkshire to have the best railway in the country by 2026.
- Connecting people and places by rail in a way that supports the economy, the environment and quality of life.
Metro has developed four Rail Objectives that we want RailPlan 7 to deliver for West Yorkshire. These Rail Objectives will help deliver our Vision for the best railway in the country by 2026:
- To double annual rail patronage;
- To improve passenger satisfaction scores;
- To develop a rail network that secures better value for money for passengers and tax payers; and
- To exploit the benefits of high speed rail when it arrives in West Yorkshire in the 2030s.
Railplan 7 complements the MyJourney West Yorkshire Local Transport Plan 2011-2026 (LTP3). LTP3 is an ambitious plan to improve the transport system across West Yorkshire that we need to encourage economic growth, reduce carbon emissions and improve quality of life.
Back to Consultations main page